This website was created to give the single mother by choice community — and single women thinking of becoming a Choice Mom — extensive resources about the journey. I am a long-time writer, Choice Mom of two, and author of the popular “Choosing Single Motherhood: The Thinking Woman’s Guide.”
Thanks to advertisers and sponsors who have proven to be genuine Friends of the Community, this website has hundreds of free articles and podcasts. For a nominal fee, we have e-guides filled with insights on specific topics, and a digital compilation of audio interviews with experts about answering the Daddy Question.
Click for more information:
- Profiles of single mothers by choice
- Listing of our Resources in detail
- Do I Have a Dad? digital tracks: This special 50-minute audio compilation features interviews with four experts about talking to our children about “daddies” and donors. It includes conversations with six Choice Moms about the kinds of questions and concerns they face as their children start using the daddy term or connect with their known donors. And it includes the insight of an anonymous donor who has had contact with grown offspring.
- We have special geographical compilations for our larger Choice Mom communities in New York, D.C. and Toronto. (San Francisco and others to come with sponsors.)
- This is an excellent bibliography about storybooks and other resources for non-traditional families, compiled by long-time Choice Mom friend Patricia Mendell.
- My original book, “Choosing Single Motherhood: The Thinking Woman’s Guide” is based on interviews with Choice Moms, Choice Kids, parenting experts, as well as my own personal experiences as Choice Mom of two
- “I Felt You Flutter In My Heart” is a storybook about growing up without a father, written by a Choice Mom and illustrated by Choice Kids. See also our extensive list of resources about ways to talk about different types of family structures, donor conception and growing up without a father.
- Choice Mom Guide to Adoption: A 100-page compilation of expert insights and personal Choice Mom stories about the myths and realities of: building transracial families, negotiating open relationships with birth parents, the cost and accessibility of adoption to single women, bonding with your adopted child, parenting over 40, foster care options, and much more.
As a point of clarification, the Single Mothers by Choice organization is a separate organization that offers support groups for Choice Moms seeking social networks in their communities, throughout the U.S. and Canada.
— Mikki Morrissette, Founder, Choice Moms®