“Women trying to conceive often forget the importance of taking care of themselves,” said Dr. Lee Kao, of San Francisco-based Laurel Fertility Care. “We often see patients who are so focused on caring for everything else that they actually decrease their success by not focusing on themselves first.”
Here are four tips about how to enhance fertility, from our San Francisco-based partner Laurel Fertility, to help you on your journey to motherhood.
1. Increase your veggies; decrease your red meat. Researchers reported that “shifting entirely from an average American diet to a vegetable-based diet would reduce the same emissions as 8,000 miles driven per year.” Harvard doctors suggest in The Fertility Diet to replace one meal of red meat with veggies per week to increase your fertility success.
2. Eat local and organic or grow your own vegetables, herbs, and flowers. According to researchers, if Americans switched to an entirely local diet, we would reduce greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to driving 1,000 miles. “It’s important to make sure your food is from a healthy source, for example, an organic pesticide-free farm,” advised naturopathic doctor Dr. Lisa Brent. “Eating well by knowing what’s in your food and avoiding pesticides will lead to a healthier pregnancy.”
3. Read product labels and avoid chemical toxins. Research has shown that chemical toxins can lead to infertility, including spontaneous abortions. Toxins such as BPA (bisphenol) are often found in food cans, milk container linings, and dental sealants. Whereas other chemicals like benzene as well as phtalates like DBP, DEHP, BzBP, and DMP are found in cleaning supplies, personal care products, insect repellent, particular plastics, rubber, dyes, nail polish, and paint. As a few simple fixes, use flowers rather than sprays to freshen up a room or look for “BPA-free” stickers on your plasticware to ensure safety.
4. Change your commuting style. Instead of driving to work, why not try commuting by bus, train, bike or foot? If buses or trains aren’t available or the distance is too far to bike or walk, try organizing a carpool. Then, before or after work, or during lunch, suggest a walk to increase your daily exercise. Beyond your earth conscientious efforts, incorporating moderate exercise into your day will pump de-stressing endorphins through your body and help your body maintain an optimal BMI zone (20-24) for pregnancy.
- Carnegie Mellon University (2008 April 22). Want To Reduce Your Food-related Carbon Footprint? What You Eat Is More Important